Monday, February 13, 2012

I've Got My Toes In The Water.

The number one thing that embarasses me about myself is my left foot. My 4th toe is a lot shorter than it should be. So, like any girl who can't find any good movie to watch on her day off, I googled "short 4th toe". Seriously? Who does that? Anyways. These kinds of pictures came up.


This looks eerily similar to my foot. Not very cute, I know. But by clicking around on these pictures, I was happy to learn that this condition actually has a name! Brachymetatarsia. Brachymetatarsia is caused when the growth center of the bone suffers trauma. It can also come from a genetic link, which would be me considering my grandfather's sister had it on both feet. Typically, it occurs in the fourth toe, like mine. And in 72% of cases it happens in both feet, which is unlike mine. However, just because the one toe suffered trauma, the other toes continue to grow normally. The shorter toe can't bear the weight as it should, so it begins to raise higher and the surrounding toes try to move underneath it so as to pick up the slack.

Now, none of the articles I read said anything about having poor balance, but let me tell you what.  When doing my stretches in gym class I was always embarassed. I cannot balance on my left foot. I can't do it. I'd be the girl toppling over all the time. I'd look like a drunkard. Then I'd switch to stretch my left leg, balancing on my right "normal" foot, and it was like I was suddenly sober. Pretty ridiculous, and embarassing.

I can get corrective surgery though. Make it look brand new, like a whole new foot. I could wear real people shoes in the summer and everything!

Sample Before and After
 [Read a lady's blog on this here]






No comments:

Post a Comment