Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These

Question Of The Day: What do you usually think about before you fall asleep?

I'm really lucky in the fact that I have trained my body to learn my routine. Every night before bed I straighten up the apartment, pack my lunch, set out my scrubs, shower, brush my teeth, read, then turn out the lights. Usually in that order. Usually that routine starts around 9:00. I'm predictable. My body knows once I start straightening up, it's almost bedtime and I start getting tired. So usually I don't have time to think about anything before I fall asleep. I turn on the lights, pull up the covers, and am asleep. I don't toss and turn or anything. I wake up in about the same position I fall asleep in.

But last night...I couldn't sleep. It was 2 AM and I was still just laying in bed. I was tossing and turning. I was dozing in and out. It was annoying. I don't know what to do when I can't sleep because it happens so rarely. Nathan was laying in bed watching a movie on Netflix with his feet up by my head and his head by my feet. I know it wasn't the sound from his movie or the lights because I can fall asleep with anything. I had went to bed around 11 that night, so I had been trying to get to sleep and stay asleep for about 3 hours.Here's the sweet part. Nate held my hand after I rolled over once again. And as soon as he did it, I was out like a rock. He must have the magic touch because once my hand was in his I was instantly relaxed. Awww.

Other facts about how I sleep:
  • I HAVE to be covered up with something, even if I'm dying of heat.
  • I HAVE to have some kind of sound. Usually it's my radio on.
  • I generally fall asleep and wake up in the same position.
  • I can't go to bed unless my bed is made. If I didn't make it that day (which is rare) I'll make it before I climb in.
  • I'm bad about staying on my side of the bed...
  • Or sharing covers for that matter.
  • I keep a water  bottle on my headboard. I'm always amazed how much I drink in my sleep.
  • I'm not one of those people that gets up to use the restroom during the night.
  • I can sleep through anything until my internal alarm clocks goes off about an hour before I need to get up. Then the slightest noise can wake me up. I don't know how my body knows, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment